Like any new cooking device, wash your CanCooker with soap and water before using.
• If your lid doesn’t quite fit – soak the lid in warm water. This will allow for a better fit.
You’ll find several CanCooker recipes in this manual and even more online at www.cancooker.com. CanCooker will cook just about anything but it’s great for cooking Midwest, New England and Cajun style foods.
• You can invent your own recipes, too. Just be sure to add a sufficient amount of liquid to allow for steam.
Follow the instructions in the recipe but, generally, you’ll place the potatoes and vegetables on the bottom of CanCooker and the meat on top. The seasoning and liquid goes in last.
• Spray interior of CanCooker with non-stick spray for even easier clean-up.
• You can use any liquid from water to beer.
Once the contents are set, affix the CanCooker lid, secure the latches and you are ready to cook!
• If the latches want to pop open, soak the lid in warm water so the rubber seal will fit better.
• Rub a little vegetable oil on the rubber seal to make removal easier.
CanCooker will cook on any heat source including campfire, camp stove, propane stove, charcoal grill, gas grill, stove top, etc. Temperature is important. Too hot and you’ll boil off all of the liquid too quickly. Not hot enough and you’ll take too long to start steaming.
• Coat the bottom of your CanCooker with bar soap. This will make removal of soot from the bottom of your CanCooker much easier.
Once you see steam coming from the vent hole on your CanCooker, your food is cooking.
• If you get steam right away, you should reduce the heat. Depending on how much food you are cooking you can expect to see steam in 10 to 20 minutes.
If you don’t see steam by this point, increase the heat.
Each recipe will give you a time from the point you first see steam coming from the vent hole. Start timing at that point.
When your meal is done cooking, carefully remove CanCooker from the heat source using oven mitts. The CanCooker and handles will be extremely HOT!
Place CanCooker in a safe place and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes before opening the lid.
• Remember, CanCooker is hot. Set only on safe surface.
Unlatch the CanCooker lid and remove. Be careful, the steam escaping may be very HOT!
• Lid may be difficult to remove due to suction. If this is the case, put on a pair of gloves and pry the lid with your finger tips.
You’ll find it’s easier to serve your food if you first empty it into an insulated containers such as a cooler. This will also help keep the food hot!
Once empty and cool, your CanCooker will be easy to clean with soap and water. Do not use abrasive pads as these will scratch your CanCooker which could affect performance.